Directory Signage That is Simple Yet Effective, & in Harmony With Your Environment
Directory signage provides valuable orientation information at key decision points, helping users find their way through the built and natural environment.
Complex made simple
Effective directory signage is a common thread throughout today’s complex environments including healthcare, governmental, libraries, museums, universities, and retail centers. Successful directory signage design is based on the sign designer or wayfinding designer’s ability to depict complex and complicated elements of an environment in a simple, universally-understandable manner. When directory signage does not efficiently present a clear, succinct, and functional image to the user, the signage is detrimental to the project, creating confusion and little desire for the user to return to the environment.
Effective directory signage includes the following:
- Directories should be located close to entrances and at major decision points throughout the space. In the event that signage is not placed in close proximity to entrances, visitors become anxious and frustrated.
- Each directory map is properly orientated based on the viewer’s orientation within a space. For instance, if the visitor is at the entrance of a large medical facility, the visitor would see a large plot of the space oriented with spaces rather than view a “compass north” based map which would require additional understanding of the space in relation to the globe, as well as to understand ones relationship to the map.
- Common names and pictograms are presented utilizing international pictograms or well known logos.
- A simple and cohesive color scheme is utilized depicting clear walkways and common spaces compliments the users intuitive abilities.
- Directory signage with alphabetical tenant listings and color code systems adjacent to maps add complex details to simple building footprints.
- Directory signage that is well designed is flexible, and revisions and upgrades can be made at minimal cost.
Directory signage is one of the integral elements of effective wayfinding systems. Visual Communications will analyze your needs and create a functional, aesthetically-pleasing directory signage system. We will be sure your signage solution is integrated with other signage elements that support wayfinding, including directional signage, regulatory and signage standards. Each signage element is in harmony with the architectural flow, landmarks, and notable cues within the environment.